Background

Saturday, February 5, 2011

Make Time For Dinner: Healthy Pasta "Cream" Sauce

I didn't expect to like this as much as I did, and I certainly didn't expect my husband to go for seconds (or whatever you call cleaning the pot). I wanted to make pasta with peas and prosciutto, but every recipe I could find called for heavy cream or creme fraiche (neither of which I had). I did have Greek-style whole milk yogurt, and remembered a recipe I had read recently for Farfalle with Yogurt and Zucchini. I figured that I could substitute peas for the zucchini and Orecchiette for the Farfalle. I swear you would never know you were eating a yogurt sauce - it was so good! Plus it's a healthier alternative to heavy cream.
Here is the original recipe and then my variation:

Farfalle with Yogurt and Zucchini - From On Top of Spaghetti by Johanne Killeen & George Germon (as reprinted in Food & Wine's Best of the Best, Vol.10)

(4-6 servings)

1 lb Farfalle
4 med. Zucchini, coarsely shredded
4 tbsps unsalted butter
1 cup plain whole-milk Greek yogurt
1 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
Grated nutmeg
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper

In a large pot of boiling water, cook the pasta until al dente; about one minute before the pasta is done, add the shredded zucchini to the pot. Drain, reserving 1/4 cup of the pasta cooking water.
Meanwhile, in a large, deep skillet, melt the butter. Remove from the heat. Stir in the yogurt and the cup of grated cheese and season with nutmeg, salt and pepper.
Add the pasta, zucchini and reserved pasta cooking water to the saucepan and cook over low heat, tossing, until the sauce coats the pasta. Transfer to bowls and eat.

Orecchiette with Yogurt, Peas and Prosciutto Variation
Substitute frozen peas for the zucchini (add to boiling pasta during the last 2 minutes of the pasta's cooking time).
Add small strips of Prosciutto to the pasta, peas and sauce before serving.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment